Sunday, September 28, 2008

Worst night of my life....

Not to be dramatic, but this was definitely the WORST night of my life. My sweet little girl broke her elbow in two places and we just spent eight hours in the emergency room. We were at her cousin's birthday party and she slid down one of those inflatable slides. She jumped off the end and somehow landed right on her elbow. Graham and I both knew something was wrong when she didn't stop crying. She is a trooper and when she gets hurt, she doesn't cry for very long. We decided to take her to the emergency room and I'm so glad we did.
They took xrays and told us that she broke her elbow in two places and she will have to have surgery in the next couple days. The break is complete, so it wouldn't heal without surgery and there could be a chance that the nerves could be damaged if they don't fix it.
Of course, I was a complete mess the whole night. I tried to not cry infront of her, but it was just too much seeing her in pain. Graham was my strength the whole night and I'm so glad he was there with me. Jocelyn is AMAZING and was so strong. She only cried when they took xrays (and didn't give her meds!!! UHHH!) and when they put her arm in the splint. She was thanking the nurses for taking care of her and telling them they are good!!!! AWWWWWW. Melted our hearts.
I am so thankful for the priesthood. We thought we were going to be released, but after they looked at the xrays, they thought they might do surgery tonight. Then they decided they are going to wait a couple days to do surgery, but they needed to do a "reduction" or whatever. (Meaning the bone wasn't in the right place and they needed to align it.) They told us they were going to have to put her to sleep so she wouldn't feel more pain. Right before, Graham and his sister's brother in law gave Jocelyn a blessing. She was hooked up to all the monitors and blood pressure, etc. at the time. Right before they started, her heart rate was up a little b/c she was nervous. As soon as Graham started the prayer, her heart rate went back down. I can't tell you how comforting that was to me. I am so grateful for that.
Anyway, I need to get to bed. We moved Jocelyn's bed into our room so she can be with us and she is still awake right now. We all need some sleep now, but I will update as soon as we know anything more. Prayers are greatly appreciated!

8 comments:

JohnandMyrica said...

Oh that is so sad! We'll say a prayer for her and you guys tonight! Poor little girl. That is so cute that she was thanking the nurses. What a rough day. Tell Jocelyn that we love her and we miss her! We love you guys!

Kim said...

Poor little girl!!!! And mom and dad! So hard--we'll keep you in our prayers. Hope it all goes well and the doctors are inspired.

A New Day said...

Lauri --- I'm soooo sorry to hear about that. In fact, I told Nicki this morning and her mouth fell open and her eyes welled up with tears and she said, 'please tell Joc that I'm sorry and hope she feels better soon!' That pretty much summed up my sentiments, as well, when I found out... eyes tearing up and please, if y'all need anything... please let us know. We are here for y'all!!!

Ashlee and Shane said...

Oh my goodness, i totally feel your sadness right now Lauri. I got all teary eyed... I need to call you. When is the surgery? That is horrible!! Tell Jocelyn that her aunt ashlee is so sorry she got hurt and that i love her and that she will be so much better soon. Tell her that my daddy is an anesthesiologist and that he is the one that will put a mask on her face to help her sleep and that they do such a good job at putting them to sleep. They get to sleep and wake up and be better! Let her know that i know the doctor's will make her feel so much better, even though it sounds like she already knows that!! She is precious. Let her know that i had to have surgery like that too and let her know that Tanner had surgery too. Let her know that Tanner says he hopes she will be fine and that he can relate. Hope you guys are okay! Luv u! Let me know when her surgery is!

Amanda said...

Ok, I almost started crying!!!! HORRIBLE!!!! I would die, I'm sure you wanted too! Seeing your child in pain is the worst feeling. I never understood that until we had Hannah.

I hope she gets better soon! I guess she will have to be snow white with a cast for Halloween. Poor girl!

Good luck with things!

Christina said...

Oh Lauri, that is just terrible. My heart goes out to you, it hurts to see our babies in pain. You guys are in our thoughts and let us know if you need anything.

Katie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Jocelyn's arm. Poor little thing! We'll be praying for you all tonight! Get some rest!

Karen said...

Poor Jocelyn! Poor Mom and Dad! I hope all goes well and she recovers quickly. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.