It has been a very long week for us! Two days after Graham's fight with the swamp cooler and his injury, we found out that his 23 year old cousin, Alan, had died. He was in the mountains with two of his friends and they had cut down a tree. The tree fell into another tree which was dead from a fire and a twenty foot section of that tree fell on Alan. His parents found out on Mother's Day that their son had died. Being a mom myself, I cannot even imagine how devastating this news would be. I never want to find out. My heart just broke for his parents and for his siblings.
The funeral was on Thursday. It really was a beautiful and touching service. His mom sang "How Great Thou Art" and she was amazing! I don't know how she held it together, but she did. Alan's dad, Dan, gave the eulogy. He talked a lot about all the things Alan loved to do. Ever since he was little, he loved to catch any sort of bug or reptile he could! He even caught rattle snakes and would give them or sell them (?) to rattle snake farmers to be milked for anti-venom! Alan was also the comedian in the family and found a lot of joy in making people laugh! Most of all, he loved spending time with his family.
Alan spent two years in California serving the Lord. He was very passionate about service and loved the gospel. His branch president spoke at his funeral and said that Alan gave many hours each week in service. He also told us that when the police officers showed up at his parent's house the morning after he died, the police officer handed Alan's wallet to his family. He asked them to open it and they found a paper with these words.....Think of the Savior and remember that He sustains you. "Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come." That really touched me. What a good example he was and still is to all of us. The church was full of people who loved him and people who he had touched in so many different ways.
Graham and I went home feeling so grateful for our family, especially for Jocelyn. When something like this happens to someone who is so young, it really makes you step back and remember to not take your loved ones for granted. You truly don't know when the last time you will see them could be. We also came home feeling very grateful for the gospel. I am so glad that I know Heavenly Father's plan for us. I am grateful to know that we can be with our families for eternity and that even when we are seperated from our loved ones here on earth, we will see them again.
Friday, May 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh my goodness! I am so sorry. That is awful. I almost don't know what to say, other than let Graham know we are thinking of him and that we will keep you guys in our prayers. I can't imagine. I don't want to imagine. How is gRAHAM doing? How is everything going?!
I am going to recommend a book if you have not read it. It is a good read. It is called the message by lance richardson. We love and miss you guys.
How sad! I can't imagine being the mother and how she must feel. That is so aweful. But what a sweet tribute to him! He sounds like he was a really amazing person!
Post a Comment