
We LOVE camping! This time was definitely an adventure! We left 93 degree weather in Albuquerque and drove an hour and a half to Fenton Lake in the Jemez Mountains. Graham's family used to have a cabin up there, so he's been there a lot growing up. I checked the weather before we left and there was only a thirty percent chance of rain. No big deal.....so I thought!!!

We got to our camp site, set up our tent (which was so easy!) and then headed down to the lake. After hanging out at the lake for awhile, we came back to our site, cooked hot dogs and then made smores. So yummy! After that, we hung out in the tent and watched a movie.

Here's a funny story....Jocelyn decided to be a little grump right before we ate dinner. We were trying to explain how the park rangers want people to be quiet and not yell. She watches the disney channel and they have a little show "Safety Patrol" which has these two little kids who go around writing tickets for anything unsafe. Anyway, we told her the park rangers are like the safety patrol. "IS THE SAFETY TROLL COMING?!?! WHERE'S THE SAFETY TROLL??" It was so funny! The rest of the night she talked about the safety troll.

The fun started around 10 p.m. It started raining really hard. Normally in New Mexico it rains for about fifteen minutes and it's done. Not in the mountains, I came to find out! It rained until about 4 a.m, stopped long enough for us to go to the bathroom and then started right back up again! It stopped around six for about thirty minutes and we all fell asleep again. We took a short nap and decided we needed to either cook breakfast or pack up. We were hoping to wait until the rain stopped, so we attempted breakfast. We had brought pancake mix for breakfast, which we didn't feel like messing with inside the tent. So Graham ended up heating up the sausage we brought. Jocelyn ate goldfish. We are good parents! :) It's at that point that it started hailing and we decided it wasn't going to get any better outside. By the time we had cleared the tent out, it was SNOWING! I was actually thankful that it wasn't raining b/c we had to take down our tent and you get a lot less wet in snow! Except for the fact that I had flip flops and that's it! :) I know, Graham lectures me all the time to "wear real shoes!" Anyway, we packed up and by the time we headed down the mountain, there was at least an inch of snow! I have some video of the drive I'll post! It was definitely a NEW adventure for us!!!!! Jocelyn said, "If it's snowing then it means it's winter time?!?!" Yeah, confusing for a three year old who was wearing shorts the day before!

We opted for the luxury of air mattresses this time! So comfy! Jocelyn was very excited to try out her new princess mattress and sleeping bag! Too bad she didn't stay in it all night! :)
Jocelyn had a blast throwing rocks into the lake! Next time, we'll try fishing.
We love our tent! It survived ten hours of rain, hail and eventually SNOW! We stayed completely dry! If anyone is looking for a good tent, the Kelty Green River 6 is great and there's tons of room! :)
3 comments:
That sounds crazy Lauri! But fun. Does Jocelyn do well camping? When's the first time you took her? I bet Kirsten would do great camping now but now we have another one who wouldn't do so well. Oh well, I guess that's life.
Oh, how fun! I'm sure it would have been better with warmer weather, but that will make some good memories. I too would have been wearing flip flops and getting the "not real shoes" lecture. So what's up with Tulsa this summer? And thanks for your comments, it wasn't all day preschool, just 2 1/2 hours two days a week.
Oh my gosh!! I cannot believe you got snow! That is the craziest camping story I have ever heard!! Sounds like you guys camp the right way...good food and movies! I loved your story too because it totally reminded me of girls camp the year that it raining on us all night long!! We got a ton of rain all weekend in AZ too!
Post a Comment