A couple weekends ago, Graham and I surprised Jocelyn with a trip to Durango, CO to ride The Polar Express! The night before, we read her the book and told her we were going to ride the train and see Santa. Needless to say, she was SO excited.

It was a little chilly and there was a lot of snow on the ground, but it made it feel more like Christmas!



We arrived around noon, ate lunch, walked around and looked at the little shops. Jocelyn was very anxious to see a train, so we headed over just in time to see the three o'clock train come in. I think she was a little disappointed that it wasn't our turn yet!



They start reading the book on the loudspeaker while you are still in the train depot. Then you move onto the platform and they read about the train pulling up to Billy's house. Then the train pulls in with all the chefs waiving and the train is all decorated. The conductor and the little boy, Billy, act out the part where he asks if Billy wants to ride the train and they ask if anyone else wants to ride.
They serve hot chocolate, cookies and read the rest of The Polar Express while you travel to
The North Pole.
The Conductor punching everyone's "golden ticket".
Then you pull up to The North Pole and see Santa with his elves standing there waving. Santa comes on the train and gives a silver bell to everyone. (Obviously Jocelyn's FAVORITE part!)
Can you tell someone is excited?!? When Santa was ALMOST to her, I reached over, gave her a hug and asked if she was excited. I could feel her heart beating SO fast through her coat! I couldn't believe how fast it was going!

On the ride back, everyone sings Christmas carols. Then you get to go see Santa again and sit on his lap in the train museum.

It really was magical and so fun to see Jocelyn's excitement! Anyone want to meet us up there next year?!?
3 comments:
I really want to go. I have heard about it and how fun it is. We really need to get together. I miss you. Love you much!!!!!
HOW FUN!!! She looks soooo excited! That is so cool! I wish i could do that for my boys!
That looks like a lot of fun! The pictures make me realize how much I miss Durango at Christmas. We used to go up there every Christmas to visit relatives. Of course we miss you guys more than Durango. Congrats on the new house. I look forward to seeing blog update about it. :)
Post a Comment