Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Blue to match Snow White!!!


We had an appointment with Jocelyn's surgeon yesterday. They took more xrays and everything is looking good. We got to see the pins on the xrays!!! WOW! I thought they were going to be little...NOT the case! Those things look huge! Jocelyn kept telling me that her elbow was popping. If she squeezes her hand tight or sometimes when she just moves her arm, you can actually hear the popping. It doesn't hurt her, but I brought it up. Yeah, it's the pins popping against the plaster. YUCK! They actually stick out of her elbow quite a bit! Dr. Basch said the pins haven't moved, so he didn't want to take the cast off and redo it. Which is fine with me!

They took off the old bandages and Jocelyn picked blue so she could match her Snow White costume. When the nurse was wrapping her, she started crying. She said, "Just wrap it a little!" We have found that since the surgery, Jocelyn now has issues with things that are tight on her or make her hot. When she was younger, she hated elevators, but she got over that awhile ago. So I guess we are back to being somewhat claustrophobic or something! I can see where it comes from though. She had lots of things on her, squeezing her and when they did the splint, it was REALLY hot on her skin and the stinkin' ER guy didn't put anything between her skin and the splint!!!! Two different times I have put a shirt on her that made her cry and get all frustrated. I can't even explain it. One time was a long sleeve shirt (I had to cut the cast sleeve) and the other was a sleeveless shirt, so I never know which shirt is going to make her feel claustrophobic. She doesn't like the carseat tight on her either, which has never been an issue before. Of course, we can't loosen it too much but she gets very upset if she feels anything tight on her!!! I am hoping this goes away after the cast is off!

"See! I can still do gymnastics!" hahaha.

Here is Jocelyn smelling her cast. She is so funny. After the nurse put on the blue, she smelled it and decided she loved the smell. She told us all to smell it. Silly girl! You can also see how huge her elbow is! It is VERY hard to find a shirt that will fit over that elbow!!!!!

She has been doing pretty good. The worst is still when it itches under her cast. She gets SO frustrated! She just screams "ITCHY! ITCHY!" I know some people have stuck things down their cast to scratch but we CAN'T do that b/c those pins are sticking out and it could do serious damage. We did find out that she can return to ballet class after her cast is off, but unfortunately we won't be able to do gymnastics for probably three or four months after it is off. Her gymnastics is her favorite class, but I would feel like the worst mom ever if something happened to her elbow right after we got her cast off!!!! Plus the thought of her hanging on bars....yikes.

The other day, she was in the living room wanting to do ballet. It is very hard to keep an active three year old from dancing around! Well, she fell and landed on her bum and her good arm. She fell backwards and she managed to keep her cast in the air, but it SCARED her so bad! She was crying, but I could tell she wasn't hurt, just scared. Inbetween sobs, she would say, "I don't want to break my other arm!!!" Ohhhh goodness. I felt so bad for her! I have been very nervous about her falling b/c the weight of the cast has thrown her balance off. Thankfully this wasn't a bad fall at all, but I think it made her a little more aware! She does not want to go through that again!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Christina said...

Aww poor thing. I hope she gets over her fears when the cast is off!

A New Day said...

Well, I think it's a good sign that she is healing well... it's amazing the psychological effects that it's had though... I'm sure she'll get back to her 'normal' self once all this is over... She's just gotta keep being the trooper she is for a little longer!!!

Amanda said...

She is so cute!!! Only a princess would have a matching cast to go with her halloween outfit! That is good! Will she get it changed after halloween?

She's a cutie!

PS-I love the way magazines smell. YUMMY!

Kim said...

What a sweetie! Poor little thing has been through so much!!! It will be over soon I hope!

It was so fun to read about your Dad! What a fun guy! Is that you and your brother in the picture?! At first I thought it was Jocelyn!!

Woolf Family said...

poor thing :( I get claustrophobic when I take some shirts of too. I hope she can get her cast off soon