Sunday, July 15, 2012

Zia Classic


I seriously love these pictures! They make me so happy. We have been wanting Jocelyn to start showing for a long time now and it was so fun watching her. It was definitely a proud Mom moment!


Jocelyn entered a "lead line" class this time, which was a great introduction to the "showing world". There was no pressure and she earned a blue ribbon, so she was thrilled! In September of this year, she will be entering the walk/trot class, which she will compete in until she is ten years old. Then she'll compete in the walk/trot/canter class.  




I can see the nervousness in her face in the picture above! She wasn't sure what to expect, but she sure loved dressing up in her fancy english outfit!  




Getting ready to head to the arena.







This girl is all business.  





Getting ready to take pictures. She looked so cute!


Talking to the judges. She said they were very nice. 


Jocelyn with her trainer, Mariah. We LOVE Mariah, she is awesome!



Showing off her blue ribbon! She said, "I've always wanted a blue ribbon and now I have one!"



Dismounting.  


Way to go, Jocelyn!!

Enjoying some bbq after her competition. She was too nervous to eat before. Like mother, like daughter! :)

 We have learned SO much about riding, horses, showing, etc. It is WAY more complicated than I would have ever thought. We learn something new every time we go for a lesson and I have a feeling it will be like that for years! People will ask me, "What does she do in her shows?" I tell them she will be in the "walk/trot class" and they say, "Oh. So she'll just walk and trot around?" They have no idea what all that involves! (I didn't either until we started all of this.) I really think people underestimate the hard work that goes into it. There are so many things that Jocelyn has to do to look the part and to receive a high score.  Her chin, head, fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders, hips, back, knees, feet and even her heels have to be in just the right place. If one of those things are slightly off, it affects her riding. When she is doing a posting trot, she has to be in rhythm with the horses outside leg to be on the "correct diagonal." Which means when the horses outside leg (the leg closest to the wall or rail) is forward, Jocelyn needs to be up in the posting position. When it's back, she should be sitting down. Added to the mix is a 1200 pound animal who has a mind of his own, whom she has to control and get to look pretty too! It's a lot for anyone to get together, so to see Jocelyn handling that is very impressive. We are looking forward to her show in September!!! She is working hard! :)

1 comment:

Ashlee and Shane said...

YAY FOR JOCELYN!!! I SO WISH i could watch her at a show! She looks sooooo cute out there! And i feel like a proud auntie! I think it's awesome that she loves this sport so much!!