My mind has been on overload lately!!! Every day is filled and I'm always busy. I actually really like being busy, but sometimes I am just exhausted at the end of the day. I'm thinking of all the things I should be doing right now, but I am taking time to write down a few things.
I got a new calling at church. Primary President. Yikes! It's funny b/c the night before we met with the bishop, we were at my Mom's house having dinner and she said, "I bet they are going to call you to be primary president!" How does she do that?!? hahaha. I remember telling her, "Yeah right, Mom." but she told me that I said, "I would love that." So when the bishop extended the calling to me, I laughed out loud...then I cried. It was overwhelming to think that I would be responsible for the entire primary. Not to mention, our primary president was amazing!! Thinking about filling her shoes really did overwhelm me, BUT I had such a calm feeling about the whole thing which is definitely not normal for me! The bishop said, "Don't stress." Graham looked at him and said, "You are talking to the wrong person!" hahaha. It's so true. Normally I would be super stressed and worry all the time, but I know I have been blessed with calmness. From the moment I accepted this calling, I have felt guidance and promptings like I have never felt before. It's been wonderful. I know this is going to be such an amazing experience and I'm so excited to work with the kids and my awesome counselors. On Sunday, the previous primary president bore her testimony in sacrament meeting about the feelings she had when she was set apart and how she almost felt empty when she was released. I can completely understand what she was saying. I've been filled with a different energy and a different feeling inside. I don't really know how to put it into words, but it's been a testimony builder for me. I feel this certainty that Heavenly Father is aware of me and my desire to fulfill this calling to the best of my ability. I know that where I fall short, He will help me. When the bishop gave me a blessing and set me apart, it was everything I needed to hear. I KNOW my Heavenly Father knows me and that blessing was what He wanted me to hear. It was a wonderful experience.
I read a talk from the Primary General President that I loved. Part of it says,
"This experience of being newly called, with its common elements of fear turning to faith, humility, and joyful peace, provides us with opportunities for spiritual growth. Spiritual growth is part of our Father’s eternal plan for us. It is an experience not just for the newly called but for all of us throughout our lives. Because we are human and because Satan would like to stop our progression, moments of self-doubt and confusion will creep in. Callings that produce growth will continue to create some discomfort. Heavenly Father has chosen the time and place for us to learn the earthly lessons He has designed for each of us. We came to earth for the very purpose of being tested and gaining necessary experience. My son has counseled me, “Take a deep breath and remember who you work for.”
I know that there will be times of stress and frustration. I know that this is going to be difficult, but I know that I already feel such a love for the children in our primary and I am there to serve them and help them learn. I look forward to the spiritual growth that I know will come and for the lessons I will learn from this calling. Plus, I have the best little 7 year old cheerleader. Jocelyn tells me every week, "Mom, you are the best primary president ever." She is such a sweet girl. Graham has been so supportive from the start. He will listen and brainstorm with me. I am blessed to have those two in my life.
So the next person to say to me, "Oh, you only have ONE child..." I will just say to them, "Well I just adopted 85!" hahaha. Can you imagine the look I would get?
Tuesday, December 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
(Actually from Mom) Those 85 "adopted" children are going to receive some beautiful blessings from having you as their Primary President! I am so proud of you Lauri....I definitely see our Heavenly Father at work in your life! I love you very much, Mom
Wow you're the prez?!?!? No wonder I haven't seen you in the halls the last couple of weeks. That's awesome. I like the talk by President Eyering "Rise To Your Call."
Post a Comment